Monday, August 17, 2009

Virginia adventure

On July 30th, my sisters Vivian and Diane and my nephew Jamie and I got into Vivian's car and headed southeast, toward Suffolk, Virginia. Suffolk is not far from Norfolk and from Virginia Beach. I enjoyed my trip. Just watching the road signs was fascinating. It is like seeing little pieces of history! We passed many sites of civil war battles, such as Manassas and Yorktown. We passed Colonial Williamsburg. Unfortunately, we had little time for tourist fun so we didn't get to visit Colonial Williamsburg or Jamestown or any of the many historic sites in the area.
One place that I did get to visit was Virginia Beach. I went there with my nephew's dad, Dan, my nephew's paternal grandmother, Barb, my other nephew, Jamie, and his mom, (my sister) Diane. It was a hot, windy day, and the sand was blowing in our faces. Having sand in my eyes isn't really my most favorite thing but, still, it was fun to be on a beach and looking at the vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean. The area was quite touristy, with big hotels and other such gimmicks but there was plenty to see, such as the statue of Neptune, the Roman god of the sea.
I walked along the boardwalk, which really wasn't made of boards but of cement, and I cooled off by standing underneath outdoor showers. I got me and my clothes nice and wet but, within minutes, I was dry again.
All in all, it was a fun time in the sun.

No comments: