Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sunday reflection: an attitude of gratitude


I've been reading about the concept of the "gratitude journal." Every day, you write down five things that you are thankful for. The gratitude journal is a way of counting your blessings. It helps people feel more positive about life. When you have to write five things to be grateful for each day, you start seeing the world in a whole new way. 


To start a gratitude journal, you need to decide how you want to keep it. Do you want to keep a traditional journal in a book, combine it with a sketchbook, or keep a gratitude blog? Your gratitude journal should feel comfortable to you.

I have never actually kept a gratitude journal but I am interested in the concept, and I will experiment for the next ten days with writing five things that I am thankful for in my journal. At the end of that time, I will write a follow-up post to this one to describe how the gratitude journal worked for me. 





I will start now with five things that I am grateful for:
I am grateful for the sun, the moon, and the stars.
I am grateful for music.
I am grateful for friends who care and who understand and who refrain from judging and who encourage me to do the same.
I am grateful for delicious food.
I am grateful for storytellers.

So what about you? Have you thought about keeping a gratitude journal? Would you like to join me in this ten day gratitude challenge?


2 comments:

Amy Bovaird said...

Alice,
I love the idea of a gratitude journal. I kept one for a period of time and it was a great experience. Since January, I have chosen one special thing each day. I don't want to miss the beauty of the moment. I think I'll join you in the experience again. I will start one up again.
Thanks for the idea!
Amy

Francene Stanley said...

Great idea. I wonder how long it will take to think of new things to be grateful for. Maybe you can use the same ones if they're relevant for that day.