Sunday, January 31, 2016

Using a random word generator to create a poem

It's time for another fun creative writing exercise! When I was at Huth Road school a week ago, I took pictures of the third-grade writers club to share with the families belonging to the PTA. The students were writing narrative poems. I thought that was pretty cool, especially later, when I read the poems, which had been posted on a bulletin board in the hallway. They were all wonderful poems!

So, today's creative writing exercise will be the narrative poem, with a little twist. 

There will be eight sentences in the narrative poem, and each sentence will end with a word selected by a random word generator. I went to a website titled "creativity games.net" to use the random word generator. If you click onto "random word generator," you will find what you're looking for. 

There are numbers to click onto. The number that you click onto is the number of words that will be generated randomly for you. For this creative writing exercise, I suggest clicking onto "eight." You will get eight words. Copy the words, one per line.

Your next step will be to write sentences, with each of the randomly selected words at the end. If you don't like the set of random words that were generated for you, you can click onto "eight" again, and you will receive an entirely new set of words. Don't worry, though, about your poem making sense. If it is a bit nonsensical, that's OK. In fact, some of the greatest poetry may seem to be a little nonsensical (for example, "Jabberwocky," by Lewis Carroll).

So, this is the poem that I created from my random set of words. I will bold my random words so that you can see that these words were selected randomly for me. 


I walked along the river, battling the ferocious wind,
lost in thought, grieving for a lost friend, not noticing a hazard.
Scared by car horns, I fell into the water, and grabbed grimy abandoned fish scales.
I crawled out of the water, soaked, needing help, but not willing to shout.
As I slipped and sputtered in my effort to stand, along came a strange-looking carriage.
A zebra and a unicorn called to me, telling me to plot a graph,
a road map, directions to a magical and magnificent feast,
in a place far, far away, in the place where there is purple snow.

Let your imagination loose and have fun!

2 comments:

Martha said...

I'm definitely going to check that out! I love to wrote poems and sometimes I just need that last word to get my poem going.

Alana said...

Those teapots were so amazing. And your lack of snow is even more amazing. But alas, I think that is going to end for us really soon, if it hasn't for you already. We've also had amazing sunsets. Not sure I am ready for the random generator poem. I'll keep it in mind, though.