Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for the Niagara River




This is the Niagara River. It flows north from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, connecting the two Great Lakes. It is a big part of my world. I live one mile from the river, and I like to head straight for it. It is a thing of wonder and of beauty. I've spent many hours walking alongside the river. A few years ago, a friend took me for a ride around Grand Island on his boat. It was interesting to see my community from the middle of the river. Last summer, I swam in the river. The river is my home and my special place. 

This is the view of the river from Niagara Falls, New York. The land in the distance is Grand Island.

This picture was taken at Four Points Sheraton in Niagara Falls.

Each time of year brings different views of the river. This is the river in winter.

All is quiet and peaceful. 





There is something amazing about the bare trees. The branches, for the most part, look as if they are reaching to the sky, trying to touch it.
This is where the Niagara River flows into the marsh at Buckhorn Island State Park. This picture was taken in August 2015, when I started on my 366-day photography project.

The marsh is full of life and color.

This is the river in autumn, at Beaver Island State Park, at the southern tip of Grand Island.

Another autumnal view of the river.

Looking to the other side of the river.

The water is a reflection of the sky but a little more intense.


There are many docks in Grand Island.


This was once part of a dock at the site of the former Electric Beach Amusement Park. It was in business from 1908 until about 1911, when it went bankrupt. At one time, there were many amusement parks in Grand Island. One of the more famous ones was Eagle Park. Unfortunately, Eagle Park is mostly known for the famous (infamous?) disaster that occurred there on June 23rd, 1912.

Many people were standing on the dock, waiting for the ferry. There were probably too many people on the dock. It is likely that they had too much to drink. The dock collapsed and the people were thrown into the river. Thirty seven persons died in the disaster.


This is another view of the dock at the site of the former Electric Beach. Originally, the dock was twice as wide. It was wide enough to accommodate many persons, including  a marching band. The owner of the land were Electric Beach is now located showed me a photograph, which, apparently, was a celebration of Grand Island's Republican Party. There was a small marching band, which included a tuba, a trombone, a drum, and other brass instruments. People were dressed in their best clothes, and all of the gentlemen wore hats.


This is the Buckhorn Island marsh on a warm Easter day.


The marsh is a good place to explore.



What Niagara River photo essay would be complete without a picture of Niagara Falls? This one was taken in the winter of 2014-15, when there was a prodigious amount of ice in the river. There are actually three segments to Niagara Falls: Horseshoe, Bridal Veil, and the American Falls. The falls are spectacular and they entice people to do all sorts of wild stunts. Nearly twenty people have attempted to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel. The first person to perform that stunt was Annie Taylor, who went over the falls in 1901. She was hoping that the publicity generated by this stunt would make her popular. Unfortunately, she died in poverty.

On June 16th, 2012, Nik Wallenda walked over Niagara Falls on a tightrope. It was an awesome spectacle to watch. Nik Wallenda thanked God for the opportunity to do a stunt that most of us don't even dream of, as he was walking over the swirling waters.

So my question to you is: what places near your homes inspire your imaginations?

7 comments:

Martha said...

What a beautiful tour of the Niagara River. When we lived in upstate NY (near Saratoga) hubby aND I would hop on the Thruway for a 4 hr drive to visit the falls. I remembet a glass restaurant overlooking them but don't know if it was on the US or Canadian side. Definitely breathtaking! We live in Myrtle Beach, SC and didn't even think of that when writing about letter M!

Alice Gerard said...

I'd love to see Myrtle Beach! My camera would love to see Myrtle Beach!!!!!

Jeanine Byers said...

Oh, what beautiful pictures, Alice!! I would love to live near a river someday! Where I live, I can see trees out of every window in my apartment. And when I go outside on the balcony, it feels like I'm in a tree house. I love that!

Jeanine
http://www.storybookhealingprocess.com

Barry Joyce said...

Looks stunning

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I didn't know you live in that exciting spot. It's been many years since I visited - thanks for the tour. Nature inspires. Here, there's run-off from the Sacramento River that livens up our beautiful state park. But waterfalls are my favorite.
Be well, Alice.

Alana said...

I've been to Niagara Falls three times - the last time was in 1999, with our then young son. We stayed on the NY side and walked the bridge into Canada. I loved the park around the American Falls - much less commercial (back then) than the Canadian side was. I loved your pictures, especially the winter ones and the marsh flowers. My husband and I live less than 1/2 a mile from the Susquehanna River near Johnson City, New York. It's beautiful but deadly, as our neighborhood has been flooded twice -once in 2006 and again in 2011.

Holly Jahangiri said...

I love Niagara Falls. I'm sorry I've not been back there in nearly 30 years - I'd love to show both my kids, but it's looking like they'll have to make their own way there, if they want to, now that they're young adults! I'll admit that I'm more fond of the Canadian side - the view is awesome, and I enjoy the caves behind the falls. (Last time I was there, a group of boys strode through, singing Gregorian chants!) I love the way it's lit up at night, and have been fortunate enough to see it frozen, once.