Friday, January 12, 2018

The joy of walking

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain — and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.... ~Robert Frost

I frequently write about places where I have walked. I have been fortunate enough to have walked in wilderness, countryside, and more urban areas. I've walked with groups and on my own. I've walked because, much of the time, walking is my main form of transportation. I've walked for causes and I've walked for the sheer joy of walking.

Barbara leads a group singing
activity on a clear evening.
Yes, I have walked through rain. Sometimes, it feels miserable and, occasionally, it even feels like fun. One day, in Wisconsin, I was participating in a walk against drone warfare with a group. We were on a bike path when, all of a sudden, it started to pour. We were miles from any road so we couldn't call for a ride. I was walking with Barbara, who was working as a music teacher at the time. Within minutes, we were soaking wet. That prompted us to sing all of the rain songs that we could think of. It was fun and it made walking in a downpour much more bearable. By the time we had run out of songs, the rain had stopped. My most miserable rainy walk was on a road in Indiana, where we had to walk on wet, sharp gravel because the road had no shoulder. Our shoes were wet and our feet hurt, but we were determined to finish the walk that day.

I've walked at all times of year. I've walked on snowy days and on hot days. Each day is different, and, even if I walk in the same place numerous times, each adventure is a new experience.

Unlike Robert Frost, however, I am less acquainted with the night. Although the starlight and the moonlight of night are beautiful, walking at night presents its own dangers.
So I avoid walking the roads at night, although, when I am on a camping trip, I just grab a flashlight and walk with confidence and joy in the woods. But, like Robert Frost, I have outwalked the furthest city light. I like what I've seen, and I eagerly look forward to my next walking adventure.




4 comments:

Jeanine Byers said...

Neat! I love that you sang rain songs during your rainwalk. And now, I am trying to think of rain songs.

"Here comes the rain again..."

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone..."

"Raindrops are falling on my head..."

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain?..."

"Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain..."

"Walking in the rain with the one I love..."

I feel like I'm missing a really good one, but that's all I got!

AnneZ said...

I have a regular Friday morning walk called "WWA" or Walk With Anne. It will help with whatever ails you! Love your topic!

Unknown said...

You make walking seem like an adventure and your post makes me wanna do some walking of my own. I hope i have as much fun as you Alice.

Alana said...

You have walked so many miles - speaking of honoring your beliefs and suffering for them, which I know you have done many times. It's an amazing thing, walking. It's more than transportation - it's meditation, exercise, discovering the wonders of the world, and more. I should use "rain" as a theme for a Music Moves Me post of mine.