Sunday, April 15, 2018

L is for lucky little lull

 It poured freezing rain all last night. By morning, the streets were a slippery disaster. I decided that walking... um... sliding to church was not happening so I stayed home and called it a "lull day." It was a day to crochet and read and cook. Outside, the landscape looked frozen and not very attractive. The creative projects were little bits of beauty on a day that looked as if it were unlikely to produce any beauty.


Having a lull day was relaxing. Here are some pictures of the highlights of the lull day.

Well... food... what else?

 After all, I did write about Kitchen Fun yesterday. I decided to continue the kitchen fun this morning by making an omelet for breakfast. It was filled with cheese, onions, and mushrooms. For dinner, I made the vegetarian West African peanut soup that I mentioned in yesterday's blog post. Who would ever guess that peanut butter, tomato paste, collard greens, and a few other ingredients would be the basis of such a delicious soup? It was a good project for a bad weather day.




Another project suitable for a cold day is the small dog blanket that I've been working on for a crochet exchange. I found a pattern on line for a single-colored blanket. I decided to make it purple. After a while, I realized that I probably didn't have enough purple yarn. I also realized that I was rather bored with just one color. So I added white, which made the purple pop out, so that was a good thing. 



I also have a book to read: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford. If you are looking for something to read, I would recommend this book. The main character is a man named Henry, who is remembering the girl named Keiko, who would have been his girlfriend, if only prejudice and the cruel forces of history hadn't gotten in the way. Did you know that cities in the west had Japantowns, as well as Chinatowns? No? Neither did I. The Japantowns disappeared when entire families of Japanese-Americans were forced into internment camps during World War II. It is a terrible thing that should have never happened. Read the book for more detail about this shameful event in American history.

So, the lull day is drawing to a close. I'm writing my blog post and am listening to "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" (Andrew Lloyd Webber), streaming on my phone. 




Come back tomorrow for pictures and stories about the beauty of the spring edition of the Grand Island Farmers Market.

8 comments:

Jeanine Byers said...

Oh, cool! I was in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat during the summer between high school and college. I didn't have a "role" but was among the background crowd. As was usual for plays and musicals I did with The Little Theater for Children. Sounds like you had a neat day.

Yvona said...

Good soup is never bad... always good.

The Gratitude Guru said...

It will be SPring soon here in NJ as well! We were in the 80s yesterday and today down in the 40s! What the heck?!?

One good thing.... Soup! Just like you said.

Thanks for sharing.

Nabanita said...

Looks like you made the most of your day. Your post wants me to go get some mushroom and do some cooking ! :)

Lady In Read said...

that soup sure sounds like something i would love.... and the book has been on my bookshelf for me to read for a while now.. maybe will get it out to read it now

Penelope Potty Snooper said...

I thought Winter was over! Lucky you had something to keep the blues away.

Cerebrations.biz said...

Glad you found things of use and fun to keep you busy when you were iced in.

My name is Chien said...

A very relaxing day should last a tad longer than regular days don't you think? Enjoy lull days. :)