Monday, May 7, 2018

San Diego Zoo: horticulture, part two


On Thursday, May 3rd, I went to the San Diego Zoo with my niece Chrisha, my two great nieces Claire and Addie, and my great nephew Elliott.
We met my friend Diane and her grandson Kieren at the zoo. The San Diego Zoo is famous because it's enormous.
It is 100 acres in size and it is located within the even more massive Balboa Park.
It is such an amazing place that you could probably spend weeks there and not see everything.


Today, I am sharing pictures from the Japanese garden, which includes plantings, statues, and a fish pond that features koi of various colors.
I am also sharing pictures from the pollinator garden, which includes a variety of plants that attract pollinators, as well as a natural bee house.
There is a little greenhouse on the premises of the pollinator garden, where those gorgeous plants (mostly perennials, I think) are propagated.
If I were to make a list of dream jobs, working in that little greenhouse in the pollinator garden at the San Diego Zoo
would definitely be high on that list.


Both the Japanese garden and pollinator garden are beautiful places of calm and colorful reflection.
If you have the chance to visit the San Diego Zoo, I recommend strolling through these lovely gardens.
In the Japanese garden, you can make a coin-free wish. You are asked not to throw coins in the water because copper coins can make the koi ill.







Note: I hope that you've enjoyed your time in the San Diego Zoo's pollinator garden and Japanese garden. Please come back on Tuesday evening for a visit with the elephants!


6 comments:

Suzy said...

I believe the San Diego Zoo also has a safari park. It's on my places to visit. Will look forward to the elephants.

Alana said...

What I was most impressed with at that zoo was a program to save the California condor. You could watch an incubator and their raising of a chick mimicking what its natural Mom world have done.

Cerebrations.biz said...

I loved Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo. When I lived in Long Beach, we made a quarterly visit there. Now that I am back on the East Coast, it is simply a fond memory.

Jeanine Byers said...

Those are lovely pictures! I had no idea it was 100 acres. WOW!!

Unknown said...


I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much...
Thanks for sharing the good information!
starbet football

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I finished up here, but I believed
this put up used to be good. I do not recognize who you
are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger when you are not already.
Cheers!