Friday, January 4, 2019

The 365-day crochet project

A few years ago, I crocheted several afghans, using people's scrap yarn, which I gave to people who were going through cancer treatment. I wanted to give them a colorful piece of comfort.  I received some nice thank you notes, so I was happy because the people who got the afghans were happy.

Paying it forward: Leslie
and the afghan that we
donated.
Not too long ago, Leslie, one of the people who had been given a colorful afghan after she was diagnosed with cancer, said that she was going to donate her afghan. She said that she was better and that she wanted her afghan to go to someone who was going through cancer treatment. I agreed with her that it was time for that afghan to get a new home. We decided to donate the afghan to Roswell Park Cancer Institute. There is a room in Roswell Park, where people can go to get afghans, wigs, and other things that would help them feel comfortable through their cancer treatments.

Leslie and I went to that room and we donated the afghan. I felt really good about that. I also thought that I would want to do that again. I may never know who received the afghan, but knowing that I was able to send a colorful gift of warmth to that person was enough for me.

These are the first four squares!
And that brings me to my 365-day crochet project. I decided last week that I would crochet one granny square a day for a year. I started the project on New Year's Day... and I have crocheted four squares! Today, I was thinking... what do I do with all of those squares? Well, I could make small afghans, also called "lap blankets." You drape a lap blanket over your lap when you're watching television or just sitting indoors and you are feeling a little cold.

As soon as I have 30 squares made, I am going to piece the squares together and make an afghan! And then, I'm going to give the afghan to someone fighting cancer, via that wonderful giving room at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Also, I will post a picture of the completed afghan so... keep checking back here for updates on this project.

12 comments:

Lady In Read said...

you inspire me Alice - every single day!

The Gratitude Guru said...

That is awesome! I love when people selflessly help others!

You are a role model for everyone!

Thank you for being a shining star in a world that can use more light.

Daria Takoichuk said...

What a wonderful project. You are an inspiration!

After reading your post, I looked for a similar donation program in my area and found Project Linus Canada - they provide blankets made by volunteers to children who are ill, traumatised, or in need of comfort. Coincidentally, I just finished two toddler/lapghan sized blankets for my kids, and fell in love with the pattern. Now there's a good reason to make more!

Also, those squares are absolutely lovely.

Alana said...

Alice, you could also consider donating lap blankets to area nursing homes (just be sure they are made from a yarn that can be washed in a commercial washing machine). Some instructions will include a simple pocket so the recepient will have a pocket for something. There is also a kind of lap blanket which may be called a "twiddle" blanket, for use by patients with dementia. I was in process of crocheting a lap blanket for my mother in law (who was in a nursing home) when she passed, and I am making it bigger. Not sure yet what I am going to do with it.

Glenda Cates said...

What a kind thing to do and I know my mom who passed away from Cancer would have loved a Afghan. I also think a local children's hospital might like having these as my friends son passed away at 15 and he was always cold so we was always looking for blankets he could have. As well as slipper socks that had a manly pattern although the ones we found looked like they was more for a women.

Anonymous said...

What's up to every , for the reason that I am truly eager of reading this weblog's post to
be updated on a regular basis. It consists of nice data.

Anonymous said...

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will
be much more useful than ever before. I’ve been surfing online greater than three
hours as of late, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours.
It is lovely value enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and
bloggers made just right content as you did, the
net might be much more helpful than ever before. Ahaa, its fastidious discussion about this article at this place
at this webpage, I have read all that, so now
me also commenting at this place. http://foxnews.co.uk

Anonymous said...

I always was interested in this topic and still am, thanks for putting up.

Anonymous said...

It is not my first time to go to see this website, i am visiting this web page dailly and take good
information from hre all the time.

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi there would you mind letting me know which webhost you're using?
I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet
browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?
Cheers, I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Ƭhis site certainly has all of the information and factѕ I needed aƄout this subject and didn'tknow who
to ask.