Saturday, April 20, 2019

N is for nourishing rain

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter


Today, spring's unfolding was very, very wet. I was walking to church for a Good Friday service, but didn't get very far when a neighbor picked me up and asked me if I was going to church. She told me that it was too rainy for me to walk. I said that it was OK. I had a roof over my head. All right. So it was a portable roof (aka umbrella). The church service was short, solemn, and sad. It is the one day of the year when it truly feels as if all hope is lost.

But is it? 

The church was pelted with rain. Rain that was nourishing the soil and enticing life to spring from the soil. Underneath the soil, there are worms and insects acting as decomposers, helping to recycle the dead organic matter from the garden, slowly turning it into soil. It is a slower process than composting, which adds heat to the process, 

Today, I was asked, "Do you like rain?"

"Yes," I said. "It gives moisture to the soil. We need to have lots of rain so that we don't end up with a drought by mid-summer."

Rain can be inconvenient for fun things, such as baseball games, but it is needed. Water is life and water gives life. Spring unfolding has been slow this year, but it is happening. Soon the rains will give way to sunshine and color. There will be hyacinths, and the forsythia bushes will become little orbs of bright yellow sunlight.

2 comments:

The Joyous Living said...

i know some folks here in California hate the rain because of mudslides and the late fires we had but i definitely believe it is necessary and so crucial for vegetation but also for beauty and happiness. ;)

Joy at The Joyous Living

Alana said...

"April showers bring May flowers". I can accept the rain. But it has been so windy this April. I wonder what meaning that has for our weather this year.