Saturday, May 4, 2019

Z is for zebras and zuche

It came... the last day of the A to Z challenge. Well, it came, sort of like an overdue book being brought back to the library.

"Wasn't the due date April 30th? Did you forget to renew?"

Nah, they don't say that. They just say, "You owe a dollar."

I think that you have to pay twenty-five cents per day for an overdue book. It's not going to break the bank. I don't think that a blogging challenge works like that. No fines for overdue blog posts. I guess that I could put a few coins in a jar for each day that I fail to make a blog post. Sort of like a swear jar, except without the swear words.

But I digress. In fact, I have failed to say any words that begin with the letter Z. And Z is the letter of the day. Or the letter of four days ago. I came up with two words. Zebra but... um... they aren't indigenous to this area. The only place where I am likely to see a zebra is in the zoo. Then there is zuche. Haha, no one actually uses that word. It is archaic. It means "tree stump." These days, people just say "tree stump" if they are talking about tree stumps.

I want to use a z word because it is Z day.... so zuche it is... or zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz if I fall asleep. Not that I've ever heard anyone say the letter Z over and over again when sleeping but, supposedly, that is the sound that people make when they are sleeping. 

So... zuche. Before long, zuches (and, yes, it's a noun) will be everywhere in Grand Island. After the dead ash trees are chopped down, there will be zuches all over the place. Unless a zuche grinder is used. I know. It's usually called a stump grinder, not a zuche grinder. I'm just trying to start a trend. Don't let words die!!! Bring back archaic words, starting with zuche! Odd words are fun words!

Shall I insist upon it?

Well, yes. I think so.

I command thee to bring back Zuche as a magestic word. Thou shalt do so. Thy honor demands it.

Oh wait. Why not incorporate British spelling, too?

I command thee to bring back Zuche as a magestic word. Thou shalt do so. Thy honour demands it.

I have now exhausted the alphabet (maybe). I hope that you've enjoyed my version of the alphabet. The alphabet posts are... um... almost finished. But the spring unfolding series continues! Stay tuned!

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter

3 comments:

Martha Ivery said...

How bout Zilch? I think it means nada. Nothing.
The end of the alphabet produced zilch with some zuche. Oh you forgot zucchini's. Lol

Martha said...

Congrats on completing both challenges!!

Jeanine Byers said...

Congrats on getting to the end! Ooh, I like your other commenter's idea. I could use a good zucchini recipe. But I digress. Zuche, you say? Okay, then. I hope the tree in my front yard never becomes a zuche.