Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Finding inspiration in the creative journey


 Today, I am starting the month-long Cornerstone Content Blogging Challenge by talking about a few of the books that have inspired me to stretch as both a writer and as a visual artist. These books offer information that helps me build my skills, as well as encouragement to step out of my comfort zone. When I am willing to take risks, I have more opportunity to grow as an artist. All three books have one thing in common: they are more focused on the journey of creativity, as opposed to being results oriented. And being focused on the art journey is a way to invite more people to join in, especially people who believe that they can't draw or write or that they lack imagination. If you free yourself of worry of what your story or your picture will look like, you can focus entirely on the process of creating art and you can do so joyfully.

Here are some of the books that have provided inspiration for me:


Writing Down the Bones.
 Natalie Goldberg is a real inspiration. She is everything that I want to be: a writer and a visual artist. She's written a whole bunch of book about writing, about painting, and about exploring your creativity. She says that writing is a creative act, that the goal is to shed the rules, not add new ones.

One suggestion is, when writing a first draft of anything, write continuously. Don't cross out words or edit in any way. In fact, turn off the internal critic and the editor side of your brain. If you've turned off that little voice in your head that tells you that you can't write, you can feel free to create without fear. 


The Zen of Seeing.
Frederick Franck (1909-2006) expressed his creativity through drawing, painting, and writing. The Zen of Seeing  is handwritten because the author considered the book to be a love letter to people who long to create art, and personal letters should be handwritten. Drawing is all about seeing.

Frederick Franck encouraged everyone to draw, including people who do not believe that they are capable of drawing. He said, "Art is neither a profession nor a hobby. Art is a Way of Being." What could be more inspiring than that?

Doodles Unleashed. Traci Bautista's book is full of color and fun.


We all doodle and this author has taken doodling to a new level. She helps us doodlers explore the world of mixed media and not to limit ourselves to traditional art materials or tools, such as paints and paintbrushes and canvases. She suggest tools that we would have never imagined using, such as correction fluid, typography, collage pauge, tissue paper, and so much more. Traci Bautista inspires me to be more creative and to truly love and relish bright colors, shapes, and texture.


7 comments:

Amrita said...

Except for the unique handwritten book ,the others I just bookmarked.I adore art too and it gave me a lot of joy knowing about these books.

Jeanine Byers said...

Wow, those books *are* inspiring!! I would like to get back into scrapbooking, and maybe create a scrapbook journal. Thx for the inspiration and encouragement.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I am a big fan of Natalie Goldberg and am excited to find "The Zen of Seeing" sounds right up my alley! I may put it on my birthday list (January!) because I know I want to continue to be mindful with my reading habits. :-)

Elisa said...

Now, I need to add Natalie's book to my TBR pile. I'm a big believer in writing shitty first drafts and turning off my inner editor. It isn't easy, but if I know it's only a first draft I'm able to give myself permission to have fun with it and see where it goes. Thanks for sharing!

pamtheamericandogrunner said...

You're inspiring me to want to paint....when I paint I prefer to paint on a large wall-sized canvas. I love acrylic paints...and more abstract stuff comes as I put my brush to the paint and then the canvas. But abstract stuff to show who I really am inside. I should find out how much some canvas is today and order a roll and get some wood to stretch my canvas- I am a do it yourself kind of person....from start to finish....besides most pre-stretched canvas so not come as large as I like them to be we're talking 8X8 or larger, and specialized sizes- I'm definitely not one size fits all, except in clothing. anyway...Oh, I want to paint now. thank you!

Kebba Buckley Button said...

Alice, wow, how creative you are! I'm delighted to see that you work in other media than photography. I have only seen your gorgeous photography before. Although I am very creative, I have never tried to describe creativity. Today you have offered me fresh vocabulary for describing the creative process, as well as several books to be inspired by. Thanks!

Martha said...

What great books to inspire anyone! I love your painted sunflower chair, so talented!