Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Mmmm! Lentil soup!

On a cold winter day, what is more welcome than some delicious soup? It is warm comfort food that brings happiness on even the darkest and dreariest of winter days.

A number of years ago, I found a recipe for Middle Eastern Lentil Soup. It is a good soup for anyone to try, including vegetarians and vegans, as there is absolutely no meat in it. It's very yummy. You won't miss the meat.

I actually cut the recipe in half, but I will give you the full recipe.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups brown lentils
  • 2 medium onions, cut into sticks
  • oil for cooking (I like olive oil)
  • 2 or 3 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander or 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 2 quarts water (or more)
  • 2 teaspoons salt (I use one)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup converted long-grain rice
  • juice of 1/2 lemon or one tablespoon vinegar
  • whole-wheat croutons, sauteed in olive oil

Preparation

Wash and pick over lentils. It is not necessary to soak them. Saute onion, garlic, and coriander in oil. Combine with lentils and add thyme, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently, tightly covered for one to two hours, or until lentils are soft. Add more water as needed.  During the last half hour, add rice. Or you could cook the rice separately, which is what I will do when I make another batch of Middle Eastern lentil soup. Just before serving, add lemon juice or vinegar. If you like croutons, serve the soup, topped with croutons. This makes about eight servings.

This is a tasty and filling soup. Enjoy!

What kinds of soups do you like on a cold day? Please use the comment space below to let me know.

6 comments:

Monick said...

This looks so delicious and healthy! I know what my family is getting for dinner tonight. :)

Alice Gerard said...

Yay! Enjoy!!!

Cerebrations.biz said...

Mine is veggie lentil. So, there's turnips, parsnips, celery, carrots, maybe some broccoli or asparagus stems, along with the rest of your ingredients.
And, it's even better for the second heating!

Alana said...

Soup is such a wonderful food on a cold winter's night! This sounds so warm and comforting.

Yvona said...

I agree with cerebrations... adding veggies (carrots, turnips, cabbage, parsnips) would make it even better.

Holly Jahangiri said...

I love soups. I'm not cooking tonight, and I'm busy getting ready for some "grand adventures" of my own, this weekend, but this is definitely on my list of recipes to make, now!