Sunday, April 29, 2018

X is for xanthopetal

Today, I was looking around for a word that began with the letter X. 

One of the words that I found was xanthopetal. That seemed like an odd word.
Whatever could it mean? I looked for a definition, and I found that xanthopetal is a noun that means flower with yellow petals.
Xantho means yellow and the origin of that word is ancient Greek.
Petal, of course, is self explanatory, considering the definition of the word.

Flowers with yellow petals are pretty, and I've photographed quite a few of them in the past few days.
Not all flowers with yellow petals are valued, however. People consider dandelions to be weeds and they work hard to eradicate them from their yards. That is, however, a bad idea because the dandelions are actually really good for the environment.
They also attract bees, which is a good thing. Here is a link to an article from the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, which explains the benefits of dandelions to lawns and to the environment in general.

Xanthopetals (you know that I had to actually use that cool word) are little pieces of sunshine.
They are beautiful things that are found in both likely and unlikely places.
They are found in beautiful gardens in parks or along the side of the road. You never know where you are going to find those little pieces of pure delight.






4 comments:

Alana said...

This one is Xcellent - so Xcellent, in fact, that I'll have to remember to steal it for next year's A to Z (if I participate). It was perfect for you. Hoping you are having a fun time.

Kala Ravi said...

That's a cool idea for X! I love yellow and yellow flowers add that extra pop of brightness to any place they adorn!

Jeanine Byers said...

Those are beautiful pictures! And hey, that's a word I have never heard before.:)

Shirley Corder said...

Beautiful flowers and a wonderful word! I really have enjoyed learning new words this month! Congratulations on reaching the end of the challenge! A to Z is over, and here’s the full list of my posts on the topic, “Improve your life, Improve your mind.