Saturday, April 3, 2021

Bears and the breath of life

Breathe in
Breathe out
Breathe free
Breathe life


More than a year after shut down began, the world has changed in ways that I find confusing and that I have not yet begun to process. It gets overwhelming at times and that's when I need to focus on my breathing.

Breathe in
breathe out
Breathe free
Breathe life


 In the midst of this change and this chaos and this palpable sense of fear, there is one constant for me. The teddy bears that I collect and that are the theme of my bedroom. It's more than the bears as objects or toys. These bears have meant more than just something soft, some decorative. When I paint their portraits and write stories about them, I have given myself permission to let my imagination lead, as opposed to my fear about the future, about a pandemic that doesn't seem to end, and about the human interactions that I struggle to understand. 

And so, I focus on breathing out and breathing in and breathing freely and breathing for life. It seems so simple but there are times when the simplest things are the most magical. And this is one of those times.



3 comments:

Lady In Read said...

I got bears!! And love those paintings... I love when you let your imagination lead, for it means delightful stories for us to read!!

Weekends in Maine said...

Each year I participate in Ali Edward's One Little Word project and pick a word for my year. My word this year is Breathe. So important right now! Weekends In Maine

J Lenni Dorner said...

Bear! That's the scavenger hunt item I needed!