Tuesday, April 6, 2021

D is for daffodils


 It feels like spring! Which is exciting because, when I think about last year, it's so much warmer. The world was shut down and winter kept going on and on. In fact, it snowed in May. All right, so I know that Buffalo has this bizarre reputation as the Snow Capital of the World, even though it's not true. I lived the first twelve years of my life in Syracuse, New York, and I can tell you that Syracuse gets far more snow than Buffalo.

But I digress. I know. You're saying, "what else is new?" Yes, I digress all of the time. It's one of my finely honed skills. So anyway, back to the joy of spring.


I notice that a whole bunch of daffodils had opened, and I got excited. Daffodils are beautiful plants and they are resilient. They will grow through snow and, if the weather suddenly becomes cold again, they won't shrivel up and die.

They are an early spring flower that grows from bulbs, which are planted in the autumn. Planting bulbs is a delayed gratification sort of thing. You've got to wait to see if they are going to grow. Unlike tulips, daffodils have a better chance of growth, especially if you live in an area like mine, where there are a lot of deer in search of a taste treat. Deer consider tulips to be a delicacy. They will eat the plants and will even dig up and gobble down the bulbs.

Daffodils, on the other hand, taste bad. The deer are smart enough not to eat something that doesn't taste good. Sometimes, humans aren't quite that smart. 


I'm excited about seeing so many more plants blossoming, including snap dragons (see how far you had to read to find that word?)! It's an amazing thing that happens every year and no pandemic can cancel this joy. I walked around last year, making sure that I was very well distanced from other people (not just socially distanced) and took pictures of the amazing amount of bright and beautiful springtime displays. 





2 comments:

Lady In Read said...

I love daffodils! not surprising considering that yellow is my favorite color.. :)
And I did read to the end of your post as well :)
Loving your atoz Alice, as always..
Diacope Or At the Risk of Repeating Myself

Mike said...

They are pretty